12/21/09

Placenta Encapsulation Pictures

Yes, yes... I know most of us think that eating the placenta is barbaric and taboo, but thanks to the information in the research studies about the surprising benefits, there has been a recent push by mothers to discreetly ingest the placenta by encapsulating. I have recently started encapsulating client's placentas following the Traditional Chinese Method.

Ingesting the placenta helps prevent PPD, "The baby blues" and fatigue as well as increases the milk supply, replenishes nutrients and decreases postpartum bleeding. More information about the benefits of Placentophagia can be found here.

I encapsulated my sister's placenta today and thought I'd take a few photos to document the process. I forgot to photograph a few steps, but you get the idea!

WARNING: These are not for the squeamish!








Cleaning and draining the maternal side of the placenta

Cleaning and draining the fetal side (Also known as "The Tree of Life")

Checking out the umbilical cord my nephew was tethered to for the last 9 months

A perfect design of harmony, the placenta is half maternal cells and half fetal cells.

Steaming the placenta lightly (According to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)

Dehydrating the placenta

Putting together capsules after the placenta is ground

Aimee's placenta yielded 170 capsules!

A gift of postpartum wellness!

4 comments:

  1. This is so incredibly fascinating, and something I kind of wish I'd had an opportunity to do. Seems like such a waste now, when I think about mine going out with the garbage after spending a couple days in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. I eat a diet that is high (and even "all" at times) raw food. I'm considering freezing the placenta in chunks and blending some into smoothies from time to time. I also have respect for TCM. My question is based on your thoughts of consuming the placenta after it's been cooked. Do you think it diminishes the nutrients?

    Thanks!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,

    The raw placenta can be sliced fresh and then stored in the freezer to use in smoothies as needed. I would imagine however that a raw placenta would spoil in the freezer within 6 months to a year. The TCM method focuses on a very light steaming process because in TCM it is an integral part of the formation and action of the medicine. Raw is generally considered cooling, so raw placenta is cooling, and isn't recommended it as a general rule for tonic purposes to nourish blood and restore energy. In TCM, it's always used dried (cooked).

    I wish their was research that showed the specific nutrient/hormone loss from steaming. But there just isn't. I would imagine it diminishes the nutrients slightly, but as pointed out by a fellow doula I know on an online forum, how about about those advocates fighting to get artificial hormones out of beef, those hormones must survive the cooking stage or it wouldn't be a concern. Just food for thought.

    I think the raw method is great, its just most people want a more discreet way to ingest the placenta.

    I even know of some that don't steam, and just dehydrate at the appropriate setting (to prevent spoilage) and then encapsulate. I prefer steaming because it allows you to stretch the usage indefinitely(for weaning, menapause, etc) You just store capsules in fridge when taking postpartum and then store in freezer if you want to save them for longer.

    Keep in mind, I am a still fairly new to placenta rituals, so you may want to check other resources and more experienced professionals before you decide what you want to do. :)

    Thanks for reading the blog!

    -Taryn
    www.SpiritedDoula.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Taryn,
    Thanks for answering my question. Good points! :)

    Happy New Year!
    Kristen :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog