6/16/09

Advanced Doula Training


Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending a workshop taught by Penny Simkin, PT. Penny is a internationally revered physical therapist who has specialized in childbirth education and doula work since 1968. She is one of DONA’s founders and has written several books on birth and labor support. I just had to have Penny sign my doula bible (Labor Progess Handbook). Yay!

I was so grateful to attend this workshop! I learned so much! Below is an outline of what we learned.

Day 1
  • When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on Childbearing Women
Day 2
  • Non-Pharmacological Methods of Pain Relief in Labor
  • When pain becomes suffering
  • TENS Training (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
  • The OP (Occiput Posterior) fetus: How little we know
  • Postpartum: The Neglected Phase of Childbearing.

I am looking forward to using the knowledge I learned to better support moms in labor!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you're so lucky! I would love to one day attend a workshop taught by her. The woman who teaches through DONA where I live was taught by her a long time ago. I love The Birth Partner, it's such a great book!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog