- Ask if the surgical team will play music and if your partner can take photographs.
- Ask for an epidural dose that won't make your arms “heavy”.
- Ask for the screen to be dropped so that you can see your baby being delivered.
- You can ask to call the sex of your baby yourself.
- Ask the midwife to pass your baby directly to you so that you can enjoy skin-to- skin bonding immediately.
- Ask that the father may perform the second “cutting of the cord” while the baby is in your arms.
I would also add that I think its important to not wash the baby and to massage the white vernix covering into the skin. The purpose of the vernix in the womb was to protect the skin like a moisturizer. It can be massaged in just like lotion. It is not dirty and does not need to be removed. In the hospital, you can choose not to have the vernix removed, but you need to request this ahead of time. Also, the vernix contains familiar smells of the amniotic fluid which can be very soothing for a newborn baby.With more babies being born by Cesarean section, a new movement is campaigning to make the event a more "natural" experience.
See full article at: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6028478.ece